Sunday, June 3, 2012

Tractor pulls are universal

The farm family I am staying with are fantastic. Their house is massive and full of history. They have 600 pigs and raise crops like sugar beats, wheat, potatoes, rapeseed, and maize. The maize feeds their biogas plant (as well as other things they have with energy) and they were pioneers in that area. The contract price for selling energy back last for 20 years and they are on year 11.  I am seeing that the ag industry here faces many of the same issues we do. Another similarity is how hard the farm wife works - Elke is amazing. I've included a photo of her garden of which I am in awe of!

This morning was a typical Sunday morning....we went to a tractor pull. Not quite as big as American pulls but the Germans were out there drinking beer well before noon!

I went with Reiner and Elke to their Lutheran church tonight. The church was gorgeous but sadly most Germans don't attend on a regular basis. They pay a monthly tax based on their income to support churches. Reiner said they go 5-6 times per year. Even though the service was in German, I could still follow along pretty well. It was moving to worship with children of God from another part of the world...and where my religion was founded to boot. It was a special service to install elected officials so we had champagne at the conclusion. In church. I may suggest this at my next church council meeting and see how it goes over.

Speaking of alcohol....I have done more shots in the last 5 days than I have the last 10 years. Beer is a given - they drink it like pop. I'm good with that. But I was not prepared for the hard liquor. We did a shot of Heidegeist (only found in this region) at LUNCH the other day...on an army base....with a captain.  It's 54%, by the way. We were also given a shot to kick off our walking tour of Uelzen last night (and a beer to finish it).  Tonight was my last meal with my host family and Rainer pulled out THREE different liquors for us to shoot. I take comfort in knowing that any illness that may have been settling in from travel is definitely dead.

Prost!




1 comment:

  1. What an adventure! You do look quite happy and comfortable. I hope someone makes you a roadrunner shirt. It's always more fun to run in new places. Thanks for posting. It is interesting how different yet how similar we are half a world apart. Keep up the great work. You are an awesome ambassador
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete