My Sunday started with a Protestant worship in the Naumberg Cathedral. I got to see a young 6 year old girl adopted from Russia get baptized, which was very special.
We then traveled to the Buchenwaid concentration camp outside of Weimar. It was very upsetting and moving to see what prisoners went through. One always thinks of the Jewish people who suffered but there were other groups too, including homosexuals, which I didn't realize. In total, 56,000 prisoners died at this camp alone. Our team had to ask to visit this site as no Rotary club has included any concentration camps as part of our program. This is understandable since it's such a terrible part of German history. We visited a memorial as the final stop, which was a nice way to conclude our visit.
Tonight was our farewell BBQ and what a wonderful meal we shared together. I was stuffed to the gills! We transfer to our last stop tomorrow, Halle.
I have posted pics of my host family in their backyard and the neighbors who hosted the BBQ tonight. The neighbor lady (Monica) is Swedish so I have been asking her all sorts of questions since my heritage is Swedish and German. Perhaps Sweden will be my next stop?
Your trip has flown by!! What an awesome experience.
ReplyDelete