Sunday, June 17, 2012

Nearing the taper

Yesterday was a bit long as we sat through the afternoon session of their conference.  I know the lady who spoke the longest was dull even though I had no clue way she was saying because I spotted several Germans asleep in the crowd. We gave a brief presentation of ourselves at this session. We also got to hang out with the German exchange team again which was great. Look closely at the guys' ties!

Germans love serving buffets so that was our dinner last night. The highlight of yesterday was the chocolate moose on the buffet...it was rich even by my standards. You can see Sara and I enjoyed it immensely.

I am blissfully happy in the midst of our only free day! Our hotel is fine but not exactly sound proof. Nevertheless, exhaustion and a few glasses of wein with dinner ensured a restful night. I woke up on my own this morning (no alarm!) but somehow still on my Illinois schedule...because it was at 5:30 a.m. I managed to fall back to sleep for a few more hours, get a good run in, and had a delightful breakfast at the hotel. Translation:  there was Nutella. They eat bread at breakfast and either use a spread of some sort or use cheese and a type of meat. I quite like it. And their tea is much tastier than the Lipton bags I use at home!  I am heading out to explore Gottingen shortly and tonight is soccer mania!!!

We have a free morning tomorrow and then transfer to Bernburg by way of train & car. We met some of our hosts yesterday and there may be a bit of a language barrier at this stop. I'm not really speaking complete sentences (just a few) but have learned quite a few words.

This is a nice breather to energize us for the next 11 days. I'm using marathon training mentality. Only at the end I think I would actually prefer to run 26.2 miles rather than board the loooong plane ride home.



No comments:

Post a Comment